Thursday 27 September 2012

Fear



A silent watchful entity is stalking me,

I feel it in a chaotic crowd and behind a silent tree.

Its deadly claws of terror are seizing my spirit,
Taking away all my accolades, my achievements and my merit.
I cannot see it yet I feel and hear its presence,
its every breath, sigh and its deadly essence.
Fear clutches me every time I walk on a lonely road,
I pray that my guardian angel will destroy it with a divine sword.
In these few moments of delirium, my life flashes in front of my eyes.
I see all the people I've hurt and their anguish filled cries!
I see the hungry eyes of a beggar staring at me daily, yearning for a pitiful coin.
I see the disgust I felt towards him and the endless busy uncaring crowd I join.
A feeling of sorrow suddenly grips my heart,
why hadn't I given any credence to my conscience from the start !
I see every person I've hurt with my acerbic tongue,
I want to apologize, a song of deep guilt is being left unsung.
I see all the money accumulated over years,
I would give all of it, to eradicate this voice from my ears.
My success flashes in front of me like a distant memory,
My attitude towards life was practical, selfish and unsavory.
That success is not helping me out of this fear,
I cry for my life, it is the only thing that is dear.
I now see the red eyes shining in the shadows.
They are laughing at me, relishing the thought of taking me to the gallows.
Realization struck me like a deadly lightening,
I had known it all along, what it was, it is chillingly frightening!
Death, as inevitable as the sunset, had decided i was next,
but I don't want to die! I haven't given life my best.
I haven't given tear evoking joy to anyone,
nor have I ever appreciated the spectacular view of the rising sun.
I want to go back and give all my money to the needy,
I want to re-live my life, forego being so greedy.
I know my wish will not be granted and yet I plead
My death, though merciless and shocking, has been already decreed.
May be death wouldn't have been so bitter had I lived virtuously,
kindness shown to a few souls would have helped tremendously.
I hear the loud snort of death, as if saying this realization hit you late
I feel abysmal pain, as it nears me, a gripping fear that does not abate.
Finally, it stretches out its claws and clenches my soul,
It laughs loudly with glee as it completes its goal.


1 comment: